Tuesday, June 24, 2008

My alternative to Kindle/Sony Reader

In a previous post, I had suggested that neither the Kindle nor Sony Reader appealed to me because of its price and limitations. Never mind that sales of Kindle seems to have taken off. See here for example. I'm thinking now that I might prefer an ASUS EEE (Never mind the funny name). Wikipedia entry here.

One review here. Prices range from $299.99 to $549.99 which was cheaper than I had proposed. Granted, it doesn't have Kindle nor does it read Sony Reader books but it has Linux with a very fast bootup, USB ports, and built in Wifi. Some models also have a built in camera and microphone. All right, no MP3 player but I'm sure it plays MP3 and its battery life is still up in the air (reviewers seem to complain that it lasts between 90 minutes to 2 hours depending with the more expensive models having longer battery life). I'm a little torn between the 7" versus 10" models - yes, the 10" models have bigger keyboards (and people have typed on smaller keyboards) but it seems to defeat the purpose of portability. Still 10" is about the size of a large hardcover book.

No comments: