Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Internet access in Penang

I was too jet lagged to do anything the first five days when we were in Penang but the next time I visit I will have to try to get Internet access. The WiFi at the place we were at did not work.

There are two ways to do this:
1. Subscription with a broadband company. There are at least 3 that I looked into:
a. P1
b. DiGi
c. Celcom
The first two required a contract for 2 years so those were out. Celcom was offering month to month Internet for RM$68 (384Kps) or RM$98 (3.2 Mps, I think). I would also have to shell out between RM$160-RM$200 for a USB modem.

2. Going to Starbucks but at RM$12.00 for a cup of coffee per visit and if I were to visit 10 times I may as well start paying for Internet access. There are cheaper alternatives to Starbucks and those may be good options which I will blog about next under upscale hawker food. Visiting these places are cheaper assuming that all I have is coffee and under some circumstances it would even be pleasant but with 2 picky eaters going to any of these places was trying at best.

No comments: