Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Why Washington is the way it is

According to Jeff Goldberg:

In some places (though not in the District of Columbia, where I also live) it is legal to reserve a parking spot using lawn furniture until the streets are cleared. I once would have agreed that this is an unfriendly practice, but this winter’s storms convinced me otherwise. I live in a special area of Washington that was established by the federal government as a reservation for former employees of Ralph Nader, and while my neighbors are thoughtful people who support our local NPR affiliate and believe that War Is Not the Answer, they’re not very good at shoveling snow. This may be because, as liberals, they believe that street-clearing is the job of the government. Or because they think that mechanical snowblowers cause global warming. ...

No comments: