Monday, April 18, 2011

Watchmen

This was certainly a refreshingly different read for me. I enjoyed it even though the ending/culprit was obvious by about two thirds of the way through the book. Yes, I ignored the inconsistency of how even though they are crime-fighters and don’t really have any “super” powers some of them were able to train themselves to fight like experts. At first I found the Black Freighter graphic novel within a graphic novel distracting but then warmed up to it.

As for the movie, I was disappointed that the Black Freighter was out entirely (yes, I realize it would have doubled the length of the movie) and that there was a slight plot change to account for this. In the comic, the author of the Black Freighter was kidnapped along with several others to become part of the plot to terrorize the world. In the movie instead it was Dr. Manhattan that was made culpable (unknowingly).

I was also blown away by the fact that the characters looked exactly alike as in the illustrations. Even with the modifications I enjoyed the movie immensely.

No comments: